Saturday 11 May 2013

The MOOC Diaries

Fanshawe College MOOC - Applied Sustainability Module 1

9am EST
The introductory video was short and informative, as was the corresponding written version. The written version also guided me to add a pin to a ZeeMap, but I have yet to figure out how that system works so will opt out of adding my location for now. The introduction also mentioned a link to module one, but I cannot seem to find it. I will try again later today.

What I did accomplish is a plan for my “Platinum Project”. The MOOC has four levels of completion: green, silver, gold and platinum. Currently, I am aiming at the platinum level (but will be happy with gold or silver). One of the options for the Platinum Project is to review an “eco” video game. I am going to propose Amerizone (by Microids)  - although designed with many other objectives in mind, I suspect environmental issues will arise in the game. I will post my idea and see what kind of feedback I get.
7:30pm
Module 1 is now available. There are three short videos (created by the makers of the MOOC) to watch, a few articles to read, and some artefacts (interactive online activities) such as an online tool for measuring you “water footprint”.  I was completely not systematic and tended to do whatever appealed to me. The – likely unsurprising result is that I only managed 50% on the quiz. For Module 2, I will follow the directions.

No comments:

Post a Comment